Foals have released an album that cohesively weaves bold and subtle instrumentation and tempo in a way that just feels natural and impressive. I’m officially deeply into their shit.
Here are the one-liner impressions by track, if you’re into the whole brevity thing:
01. Prelude: No words necessary, I’m mildly riled…
02. Inhaler: Whoa, heavy metal distortion dabbling… Where is this album going?! Killer fade out.
03. My Number: INSTANT GROOVE; SOLD! The tempo is the precise proper pace of a good city walk en route to take the edge off.
04. Bad Habit: Edge off. Energy of “My Number” sustained, now seguing into dreaminess.
05. Everytime: Everytime I hear you, I want to sail away…
06. Late Night: Officially want to bone this song, personified. Thanks for the rhythmic jammy finish.
07. Out Of The Woods: After the late night, out of the woods… who knew you could feel better?
08. Milk & Black Spiders: I like this song better than milk and black spiders… ‘cause “I’ve been around two times and found that you’re the only thing I need.”
09. Providence: Intro reminiscent of The Who’s Quadrophenia for reasons unknown? This is just a grind out experimental symphony; I don’t need it - but I’ll take it.
10. Stepson: Melancholic, illusive and industrial. I feel like I need to be held.
11. Moon: I get why this both cliff hangs us on a band, and positively seals us up an album.